GLIDER- TAKE OFF COMPETITION
“USE your wings……and fly! ”
The TAKE OFF competition for 7th graders is not only of play and excitement, but also great way of learning some basics in science. This event and its Learning materials explain the hidden science in very simple and practical way.
The competitors are expected to build a GLIDER out of any materials of their choice, and launch it to win the race.
TAKE-OFF RULES 2019-20
Build an unpowered glider that can remain airborne for longest possible time
STUDENTS SHOULD BUILD THEIR GLIDERS AND NOT USE READY MADE/ BOUGHT OUT GLIDERS
THE WING MUST BE HANDMADE.
The glider should be an unpowered and launched by muscular power only.
- The glider can be made up of any materials of competitor’s choice OR from the kit available with Cognium’s website.
- Such modified or rebuilt glider must also meet the dimension and other rules as for the first round.
- Competitors may buy a glider kit from our website if they wish. They may use it for purposes of trials experiments practice or for competing. However buying kits from our website is optional and is made available for competitor’s convenience only. Buying from Cognium will not earn any extra credits at the competition.
- Competitor shall ensure that parts bought from sources other than Cognium, conforms the rules of the competition, failing which the model will be disqualified.
- There will be a revised problem statement for the final round. These revisions will be announced after completion of first round. Winners of the first round will, if they feel necessary, modify or rebuild their glider to meet the revised problem statement.
Competitors whose models which have passed the inspection will assemble at designated area. Competition in charge will give a call of slot number. the competitor will present himself ,with his model at the start line, At the zero call of countdown, the competitor will launch his glider. Time keeper’s timers start counting the time elapsed till the touchdown. time keeper will report the recorded time to the judges. judges will record the time and the foul points, if any.
- The overall length of the fuselage shall not exceed 80 cms
- The overall wing span of the glider shall not less than 50 cms. and not exceed 90 cms.
- The weight of the glider should not exceed 100 grams.
3) Materials of construction
- The glider can be made up of any materials of competitor’s choice OR made from the kit/ spares available on Cognium’s website.
- Weight by the official scale that is used at glider check-in shall be considered final.
- The glider should be hand launch glider, i.e. it must glide only with the muscular power imparted by the launcher.
The competitor shall place one of his foot (left or right as may be convenient) behind the launching line mark and launch the glider without lifting the front foot. i.e.
- The competitor shall be allowed a relaunch If the glider touches any spectator/ person during the flight, before touching the ground. Only one relaunch will be allowed in such a case.
- Students are free to design/shape/color the wing, tail & other parts which can make the glider fly longest period of time, subject to rules and provisions of competition
- A competitor shall launch his model at the zero call of countdown. Timers start at this instance. Any launch before zero call is a foul.
- Timers will run till the model touches the ground. competitor will earn points on basis of time clocked. re judging criteria
- Competitor will lose points in case of following
- model stalls lands on nose
- model breaks in flight
- model forms a loop and lands behind the launch line.
PROHIBITED ITEMS :
- Ready made gliders are not permitted.
- Automatic launching mechanisms, like rubber bands, springs, motors, propellers, explosion are not permitted. Glider is to be launched by hand (muscular power only).
- Providing external power or on-board power source – electronic electrical or mechanical is not permitted
Arena is an open ground or large hall with start line 100 cms long and 10cms wide